3 Patriotic Recipes to Celebrate Independence Day
These delicious recipe essentials may just become your new standard fare for 4th of July barbecues.
Let’s talk turkey. Food is central to just about any party, and the food table is the spot people will frequent the most. Make sure you plan to have more food than you think you will need so you can accommodate any unexpected guests.
Pro tip: Making your gathering a potluck will take the pressure off meal planning and preparation, not to mention the cost! Of course, you will probably want to fire up the grill to supply those all-American staples—hamburgers and hot dogs (we love the Broil King Smoke Grill XL and the Meco Easy Street Table-Top Electric Grill for a portable option). Read on for a few red, white, and blue recipes that will spice up your shindig.
Note: Don’t forget the water! Especially if your party will be held outdoors, keeping plenty of H2O on hand will ensure everyone stays hydrated.
(Adapted from womansday.com)
3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp instant espresso
1 tbsp dried oregano
3 ¾ lbs. ground beef
12 hamburger buns
Garnish: cheese, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes and onions
- Heat grill to medium-high. In a bowl, combine the paprika, sugar, espresso, oregano, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Gently form the beef into 12 balls. (Don't overwork the meat—this can result in a tough, dry burger.) Flatten each ball into a ¾-inch-thick patty. Using your thumb, make a shallow 1 ½-inch-wide indent in the top of each patty. Sprinkle the patties with the spice mixture.
- Lightly oil the grill. Place the patties on the grill, indent-side facing up, and cook until the burgers release easily from the grill, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes more for medium. Add a slice of cheese to each patty a minute before the burger is done; cover and cook until melted.
- If desired, grill the buns until lightly toasted. Serve the burgers on the buns with toppings, as desired.
Mini Cherry Berry Pies
(Adapted from womansday.com)
1 lb. fresh strawberries
2 package frozen cherries
12 ounces fresh raspberries
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp orange zest
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp sugar
1 pinch kosher salt
3 refrigerated rolled pie crusts
1 large egg
12 disposable foil pie/tart tins
Small star-shaped cookie cutters
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, cherries, raspberries, cornstarch, orange zest, 1/3 cup sugar, and a pinch salt. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Make a stencil for the pie crust: Place a pie tin top-down on a piece of paper and, using it as a guide, draw a circle 1 inch larger than the tin; cut out the stencil.
- On a lightly floured surface, working with one pie crust at a time, roll out to 1/8-inch thick. Using the stencil, cut out 4 circles. Using the star cutters, cut out 6 stars, reserving the scraps. Fit the circle cut-outs into the bottoms and up the sides of the pie tins. Fold any overhang under itself to create a thicker rim of dough and crimp as desired. Place the pie tins and stars on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to fill. Repeat with the remaining pie crusts.
- Fill the pie crusts with the cherry mixture (about a heaping ½ cup each).
- Shape the remaining dough scraps into a 1-inch-thick disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 24 ½-inch by 5-inch strips, rerolling and chilling the scraps as necessary.
- Twist the dough strips and place on the pies as desired, trimming as necessary to fit; dab the ends with egg and pinch gently to attach to crusts. Place the stars on the pies as desired. Brush the dough stars and stripes with the remaining egg and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Refrigerate the pies for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the pies until the fruit is bubbling and the crusts are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Patriotic Parmesan Garlic Dip
(Adapted from thecreativebite.com)
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Blue corn tortilla chips
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, garlic powder, and onion powder. Using an electric beater, mix until smooth.
- Layer the dip into the bottom half of a white 9x13 dish. Top with rows of halved cherry tomatoes.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Right before serving, add the chips to the other half of the dish.