Nashville Hot Fried Chicken Recipe
Tuesday, July 6th is National Fried Chicken Day.
Enjoy this Nashville Hot Fried Chicken recipe, courtesy of Ninja. (This recipe is designed specifically for the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with 4 Quart Air Fryer, model AG301.)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 quart (4 cups) buttermilk
- 2 uncooked bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 uncooked bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, each split in half
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Stir together garlic, onion, chili, and mustard powders with salt and pepper. Place half the mixture in a large resealable plastic bag or container. Add buttermilk and combine with spice mixture. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
- Add chicken to buttermilk mixture and marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Strain chicken from marinade. Combine remaining spice mixture with flour in a large mixing bowl. Working in batches, toss chicken pieces in flour mixture until evenly coated. Gently tap chicken to remove excess flour.
- Insert crisper basket in unit and close hood. Select AIR CRISP, set temperature to 360°F, and set time to 25 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin preheating.
- While unit is preheating, rub each piece of chicken with oil, using a total of 1/4 cup oil for all pieces.
- Once the unit has beeped to signify it has preheated, place chicken in the basket. Close hood and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup canola oil, brown sugar, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- After 10 minutes, flip chicken. Close hood and continue cooking for 10 more minutes, then check chicken for doneness. Continue cooking up to an additional 5 minutes or until chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- When cooking is complete, gently toss chicken with spiced oil mixture and serve.