APC Alexa Skill Privacy Statement
Applicability. This APC Alexa Skill Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”) applies to your experiences using the APC Alexa Skill as part of your participation on the Homeowner Participation Agreement you signed when you closed your home. It does not govern general visits to the website located at www.southerncompany.com, in addition to certain other subsidiaries’ websites that provide a link to this Privacy Statement (collectively, the “Web Sites”).
We seek to safeguard your privacy. This Privacy Statement details how we will seek to protect your information, and the limited manner in which we may use that information as it relates to your use of the APC Alexa Skill.
By using the APC Alexa Skill, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your information by us as set forth in this Privacy Statement. This Privacy Statement does not apply to any other information collected by Southern Company or its subsidiaries through any other means. Please note that other more specific privacy terms, conditions and policies may apply (and be provided to you) when you sign up for certain web site services outside of the APC Alexa Skill. Please review those terms carefully, as such terms may differ from the terms of this Privacy Statement.
Throughout this Privacy Statement, the words "you," "your," and "yours" refer to any person or entity using the Web Sites or APC Alexa Skill, and the words, "Southern Company," "we," "us," and "our(s)" refer to Southern Company and one or more of its subsidiary companies.
Consent to Data Sharing and Usage
- By downloading this APC Alexa Skill, you acknowledge and agree that Amazon constitutes an additional “Representative” under the Homeowner Participation Agreement that you signed upon closing of your home, and that the obligations and consent applicable to you via the Homeowner Participation Agreement extend to this Privacy Statement and your associated use of the APC Alexa Skill as well. If you do not consent to the collection, use, sharing and other processing of your information (as defined in the Homeowner Participation Agreement) by APC or Amazon under the Homeowner Participation Agreement, then you shall not download this APC Alexa Skill.
- APC will share APC Responses, Alexa Cards, and Alexa Displays with Amazon only for the purpose of responding to your User Requests.
- Information shared with Amazon may include the last 5 digits of your Linked Card(s), balance on Linked Card accounts, most recent charges, the name of your bank institution, last 4 digits of your bank institution account, available credit, energy usage data or other account information.
Changes to Our Privacy Statement
- Please review this Privacy Statement regularly for any changes or updates. We may change this Privacy Statement at any time. All changes to the Privacy Statement are effective immediately when we post them on the Web Sites. Your continued use of the Web Sites and/or the APC Alexa Skill following posting of changes to this Privacy Statement signifies that you accept such changes. Additionally, if you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Statement or the practices set forth in it, please contact us.
Children's Privacy: Southern Company.com and Subsidiary Web Sites
- THE APC ALEXA SKILL DOES NOT KNOWINGLY COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM VISITORS UNDER AGE 13 AND IS IN NO WAY DIRECTED AT CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13. IN THE EVENT THAT WE LEARN THAT WE HAVE COLLECTED PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM A CHILD UNDER AGE 13 WITHOUT VERIFICATION OF PARENTAL CONSENT (OTHER THAN COLLECTION FOR THE SUPPORT OF INTERNAL OPERATIONS AS SET FORTH BELOW), WE WILL DELETE THAT INFORMATION AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
Information We Collect When You Visit the Web Sites
Except as set forth in this Privacy Statement, we do not collect personal information through the APC Alexa Skill unless you voluntarily provide it to us when you download, register for, and use the service. When you visit our Web Sites, our Web Sites automatically collect certain information about interactions between your web browser and the Web Sites and other web sites unrelated to the Web Sites that you visit, including your IP address, the web pages you visit and how long you visit them. Web browsers may provide certain information that we may also collect, including your time zone, browser type and version and language preference. We or our third party service providers may organize or analyze IP addresses for general support of internal operations, including maintaining functionality of the Web Sites and diagnosing Web Sites' issues, analyzing trends, providing more efficient service, maintaining and/or enhancing security for users and the Web Sites, producing traffic volume statistics and making the Web Sites and our infrastructure more useful and secure. In an effort to protect the security of our critical infrastructure, any use of a Web Site or information relating to such use may be monitored and disclosed to federal authorities or agencies.
The Web Site located at www.southerncompany.com may also share certain information such as cookie data (as discussed more specifically below) with third-party advertising partners. This information would enable you to view advertisements that they believe will be of interest to you.
Some parts of the Web Sites use "cookies." Our Web Sites may ask your web browser to store a small text file on your computer, which will then be sent back to our Web Sites automatically each time you click on a new page on the Web Sites. This enables us to provide you with the best browsing experience possible. A cookie cannot be executed as code or deliver viruses. You can refuse the cookie or delete the cookie file from your computer by adjusting your web browser privacy settings or by other widely available methods. Please note that you may not be able to use certain features of the Web Sites if your web browser does not accept cookies.
The Web Sites may provide links to other websites that we do not own or operate ("Linked Web Sites"). You may have the ability to visit such Linked Web Sites. Please be aware that when you leave the Web Sites and visit Linked Web Sites, we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those Linked Web Sites. The privacy statements, policies and other terms contained on the Linked Web Sites apply to such Linked Web Sites.
Social Media Services
Some of the subsidiary companies have worked with certain third-party social media services to offer you their services through their Web Sites. For example, you can use third-party social media services, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and others to share information about your experience on the Web Sites with your friends and followers on those services. These social media services may be able to collect information about you, including your activity on the Web Sites. These other services also may notify your friends, both on the Web Sites and on the services themselves, that you are a user of the Web Sites or about your use of the Web Sites, in accordance with applicable law and their own privacy policies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of third-party social media services.
How We Protect Your Information
We use industry-standard administrative, technical and physical safeguards and protection practices and controls to ensure the integrity of our systems and to protect your information from loss, misuse, alteration and destruction. Such protection measures include firewalls and Secure Socket Layers (SSL) to protect and encrypt sensitive transmissions. Please be advised, however, that no security system is fail-safe and we cannot guarantee the information you provide will never be obtained by unauthorized persons.