Make Your Home More Energy Efficient this Summer
Energy saving products and tips to stay cool in summer
No matter the season, smart thermostats are always a great addition to any home looking to become more energy efficient. Whether you’re on vacation, at work, at summer camp or at the local ballpark, it’s a great idea to give your HVAC unit a break when you’re not home.
With a smart thermostat, you can decide when your unit needs to be on, when it can be off and what temperature it should be at different times during the day and night. If you’re not into programming the thermostat yourself, you might like the ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice Control or the Google Nest Learning Thermostat. These smart thermostats will learn your schedule on their own and adjust accordingly. For a limited time, Alabama Power is offering a rebate on qualifying smart thermostats.
Air conditioners remove warmer air and humidity from your home. Reducing the amount of warm air and humidity eases the strain on your system. The Haier 35 Pint Dehumidifier is Energy Star certified and can remove up to 35 pints of moisture per day from the air in your home. This model features a built-in pump should you wish to pump the moisture directly out of your home. Pocket handles and easy-roll wheels allow for seamless transport should you wish to move it from room-to-room. It features three fan speeds and allows for a humidity setting between 30%-70%.
Using the oven raises the temperature in your home. If summer showers are keeping you from grilling out, there are other cooking methods to try inside. The Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with Air Fryer cooks food quickly and deliciously right in your kitchen. It allows for air frying, baking, broiling and roasting all in one appliance! The two racks allow you to cook proteins and veggies simultaneously. As a bonus, the parts are removable and dishwasher safe, making cleaning a breeze. Give your range a break during the warmer months and let Ninja do the work.
You can also make some small, low-cost, changes around the house to help improve your energy efficiency throughout the summer. Check out these energy saving tips to help you find savings year-round:
TIPS FOR AROUND THE HOUSE
- Clean range-hood grease filter to ensure proper ventilation.
- Vacuum refrigerator condenser coils to improve efficiency.
- Replace your air filter consistently (every 30-90 days, based on filter and usage). Check out our Buyer's Guide to Home Air Filters for more information.
- Seal gaps in floors, doors and windows to save up to 10% on your energy bill and prevent moisture issues and drafts.
- Ensure outdoor unit for air conditioner is free of leaves and other debris.
- Close drapes during the day and consider applying window film to minimize heat from the sun.
- Check the weather stripping around your garage door and replace if needed.